Winter Skin Care Tips
- Posted on: Jan 7 2016
With the temperatures finally starting to drop, and the thermostats heating up, one thing we need to pay extra attention to this winter is the health of our skin. While the absence of humidity here in Florida (and elsewhere in the Northern Hemisphere) is surly something to celebrate, we can’t forget about our skin, and how it can be affected by this change in the weather. Here are a few tips to keep your skin supple and smooth as you enter into these winter months of the New Year.
- Try a cleanser with salicylic acid. This will exfoliate the dead skin cells around hair follicles and reduce the rough patches of skin that appear as little bumps as a result of the cold, dry temperatures. (We recommend Azul’s Gly-Sal Cleanser or IDSkin’s Repair Bar.)
- Have you ever gotten the advice of bathing in milk? The reason Cleopatra used to bathe in milk was for the lactic acid! Try a lotion or gel containing lactic acid to smooth dry skin, on your face but also anywhere on your body that you feel needs a little extra TLC. Lactic acid not only moisturizes effectively, but is also used as an exfoliant that gets rid of the dead skin cells and promotes growth of new healthy skin. (Try Azul’s Clear Skin Gel or ID Skin’s HydraGel.)
- This time of year, our faces need a little heavier cream to combat the external dryness. Azul’s Continuous Moisture and IDSkin’s Timeless moisture provide premium moisturize with global anti-aging properties. Precious emollients in this product including plum seed oil, raspberry seed oil, and olive oil derived squalene effectively moisturize and nourish without being oily.
- Lotion up your body, and then add socks or gloves to lock in the moisture for a period of time. Whether you’re about to go to bed or just lounging around the house with dry and cracked feet or hands, try adding some lotion, then slipping on some gloves or socks to lock in the moisture, and your skin can be as absorbent as possible. Leave them on for at least an hour, or more if you feel you need it. (Try our Green Tea Body Lotion that has extra benefits of the antioxidant, Green Tea)
Avoid Drying & Damaging Agents!
- Keep your hot showers short and sweet. Hot water can be extradrying to your skin, especially when you spend more than 10-15 minutes doused in it, and, the more often you shower, the drier your skin will feel.
- As always, keep wearing sunscreen! The sun in the winter is not as warm in the winter, but by no means is it less powerful. The rays of the sun in the winter can sometimes trick people into not lathering up in sunscreen, as they should, and it can lead to very drying, and aging effects on the skin. Especially in Florida, where people can enjoy the winter sun, make sure to apply and reapply the sunscreen! (We recommend our Ultra Natural Sunscreen and oil-free Sunguard products)
Posted in: Professional Skin Care